Thursday, July 16, 2009

Mommy of a Six-Month-Old or The Newest Star of "Punked"???

Right now I'm laying in bed, and it's hitting me that my little baby is six months old! That's right, I'm the mommy of a rolling, babbling, sitting up, solid-eating (and solid pooping), smiling, beautiful, little boy! 

About 15 or so months ago, I remember laying in bed, praying that God would bless me with a little soul, and now, here I am.  My life has changed entirely: my once clean, perfectly organized home is now cluttered with toys, dirty diapers, un-matched baby socks, and coupons for diapers and such; a shorter-cut bob has replaced the shoulder-length head of hair I once used to sport; instead of cute necklaces or accessories that accent my outfits, my new fashion is now a milky-colored spit-up spot on my clothes; when I sit at the computer to do various work duties, I have a baby whose wobbly body makes typing a workout; and lastly, where I used to see black numbers on my bank account, I now see red. But I can honestly say, without a doubt, that being a mommy is worth every change or small sacrifice I may have made. 

However, I am still trying hard to figure out where the heck the last six months of my life went. I somewhat recall the doctor handing me a crying baby, covered in a jello-like substance, but everything else from that moment on seems to be a blur. It really is a cruel joke that life pulls on new moms. After nine months of creating a human, several hours of delivering that human, and then long, sleepless nights of ensuring that that little human's needs are met, our mommy brains go into autopilot, and mentally, nothing is absorbed.  However, everything else around us (including that once-little-human) continues to grow and change.  I am wracking my brain to remember my little "Buhba's" first smile, first babbling, and other firsts, but they slip my mind. I'm still waiting for Ashton to jump out of the closet and tell me that I've been "Punked", and that my little six-month-old is really still a few weeks old! Any time now, Ashton...I'm waiting...

2 comments:

  1. it is so true they were once so sweet now all they do is try and chew on you cuz there gums are swollen. Or want us to never put them down. UGGGh I love my baby and am having another one sooner then later but seriousl WHAT WAS I THINKING

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brooke,
    You are amazing! What you said is SO true! Just wait until your little guy turns 3 and is about to start Preschool! Time just seems to fly by faster and faster as we get older. There are a lot of frustrations with being a Mom and there are times that I wonder why I even had kids, but at the end of every day I am so grateful for the opportunity I have to try and raise to handsome little boys. I don't know what my Father in Heaven was thinking, but I am so grateful for the chance!

    I can't wait to hear more! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete