Friday, July 17, 2009

My Inhibitions: If Found, Please Return!

Lost: My Inhibitions
Last Seen: Sometime around Sept. 2008
If Found, Please Return ASAP!

I feel like like I may need to post this flyer in my home, and perhaps wear it on me when I take my baby, aka "Buhba" out in public with me. 

I may need to retrace my steps to remember when I have last seen my inhibitions. I remember having them most of the time before I was pregnant, but I think that somewhere around the time I started having contractions around 14 1/2 weeks, they picked-up and left town. They pretty much had to leave because from that point on, I was being "checked" by various people (after "Buhba" finally got here I think that I counted over 20 different nurses and doctors)! 

Then there's labor and delivery - yeap, my inhibitions, didn't even come back for a visit: not even a card or gift. And then when I was learning the ins and outs of nursing, my inhibitions completely disappeared, and there's been no sign of them since! 

If you came to visit me during "Buhba's" feeding time during the first few weeks, chances were that you were going to get a show - at the time I was way more worried about making sure that my little guy would catch on to feeding, than worry about if people were seeing "the goods!" 

I figured that after a few months of this, my good ol' inhibitions would return, and I'd back to my old, private, self.  Well, not really.  I swore up and down that I'd never be one of "those" woman who nursed in public, well, I am. Sorry, I can't help it. Let me clarify, I ALWAYS have a blanket, but I have been known to have feed my little guy at the Cheesecake Factory, Famous Dave's, at the pool of the Monte Carlo, and various other places. I may just have to come to the realization that my old friends, my inhibitions, may just not be coming back...but if by chance, you do stumble upon them, please return them to me - there may be a reward involved! :) 

3 comments:

  1. I remember you posting on your other blog about a woman who whipped it out and started nursing at a work conference without a blanket. But I totally think that nursing in public WITH a blanket or cover is COMPLETELY acceptable. I am proud of you for doing so. I don't think nursing mothers should have to shut themselves in a closet just because their baby is hungry. Way to be! And I'll keep my eye out for those dang inhibitions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you get to the point where you don't care if your child is hungry you worry more about them eating. I mean hey you don't put a pillow case over your head to eat a blt do you? Of course you take precautions when you can but if not then Your CHILD is always first and everyone else second.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to have inhibitions myself, but now I'm proud to say that I am one of "those" women who nurse in public without a blanket. I am very discreat and most times, unless your butt is parked next to mine, you wouldn't even know it was happening. I don't intend to offend anyone, but my child needs to eat, in a way she feels comfortable.

    My personal reply when asked to cover up or to nurse somewhere else: God gave me breasts, and they have an AMAZING ability - they produce milk, the perfect food for my baby to eat. God also gave you something - a neck. It has the AMAZING ability to turn your head the other way, so you don't have to watch my baby eat. Use it!

    Sounds kind of rude, but I no longer care when it comes to breastfeeding; just another of my inhibitions gone by the wayside.

    Honestly, how are future generations going to know that it is perfectly normal and BEST for mom and baby to breastfeed if they never see it happen (especially with the influences of formula companies at every turn)?

    ReplyDelete