Friday, August 7, 2009

Bebe Gloton : Healthy or Creepy?



As I demonstrated in a previous post, I'm pro breastfeeding (but certainly not to the point of judging others who choose not to). With that said, I think that the new "Bebe Gloton" goes a little too far. 

Check out this new doll:

While I do have to admit that after watching my mom nurse my younger siblings, I secretly (as a 5 year old) took my beloved Cabbage Patch, Aubrie Ann, into my bedroom and lifted up my shirt to mimic what I saw my role model doing. And, surprisingly enough for my five year old mind, nothing happened! 

I think that it is perfectly normal for little girls to want to do what their moms do. Even as young girls, the nurturing side of us come out, it's how we're wired. I think that its healthy for moms (if they choose) to let their kids know that this is how some babies get their food, and to help them understand that it is natural. However, I have to say that I think that this doll is creepy! (I don't know any other politically correct way to say that!) Also, if little girls grow up thinking that their breasts will develop into flowers (like the vest that comes with the doll) no amount of therapy will help when, as an adult, they are actually nursing their new baby, and the pretty flower is replaced by chapped, bleeding nipples, and saggy, milk-filled breasts! :)

I'd love to hear other takes on this. Moms of young girls, would you buy this for your daughters?

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you! I think it's majorly creepy and a little hilarious as well! If I had a daughter, I definitely would not buy it for her. Funny post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got a five year old and I would definitely NOT get that for her. That is just way too much! She tried to feed her doll with her belly button after I had my third and it was pretty funny. I would not be comfortable with that doll in my home.

    ReplyDelete