Thursday, August 20, 2009

To Alternate or Not to Alternate...That is the Question...

So, I just read somewhere that I should be feeding Buhba several different types of food at each sitting. I don't do this. I just get one container (or two helpings of my homemade babyfood) out and feed it to him. I do change up what he eats at each sitting/meal - but I don't really see the point in getting out a ton of food for each meal. My thoughts are that it may confuse him and his little taste buds. However, if the magazine says this, then perhaps it's the hard and fast rule for feeding - and I'm the only one not doing this??? I'm new at this stuff! I just don't want to make a mistake like this, and have Buhba grow up and be messed up as a result of my lack of alternating :) I'm finding that there's a lot of pressure with these decisions, you never know what ones will scar a child! ha ha...I can just picture it now. He's sitting on a therapist's couch saying, "Doc, I think that the reason I have relationship problems now is because my mom didn't alternate the number of foods I ate at each sitting when I was seven months old." You just never know... :)

4 comments:

  1. I never alternated my boy's foods. I usually did the same thing you do. But my boys weren't huge fans of baby food, so there were only a couple they really liked. I think you would waste a lot of food opening up a couple of different jars at each sitting. Baby food is only good for a couple of days after opening and I would always forget to use it. I would be interested to know if a lot of Moms do alternate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol I never did either and Zeke is now almost 11 months and will not touch it any more only the cereal other then that he has teeth and wan real food. you crack me up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When Collin was nearing the end of his baby food days, the only vegetables he would eat would be the mixed vegetables. I would buy the different brands because their vegetable blends were all different. I think as long as they are eating healthy feed them whatever you/they want! Collin has never been a great eater, but he would eat some of the Stage 3 fruit baby food until he was like 2 1/2! Who cares as long as he was getting something healthy in him. :) Brody on the other hand I would go buy one of each kind of baby food. The kids eats ANYTHING!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know anyone who does that. Babies don't seem to eat enough food. I was always lucky to get them to eat a few bites of one. I don't think they need a appetizer, main course and dessert! Besides the "experts" keep changing their minds about what is best anyway.

    ReplyDelete